Either way, facial pain, headaches, ear pain, jaw stiffness and difficulty chewing or speaking often centers around this joint structure. Identifying the precise cause of these symptoms, however, often requires special expertise. We have extensive experience and resources at our disposal to diagnose and treat multiple causes of TMD.
Pain in the jaw may arise from:
- Migraines or trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias
- Neck pain, such as from cervical disc herniation
- Direct trauma to the TMJ, such as hyperextension
- Muscle imbalance around the neck and jaw from suboptimal posture
- Autoimmune arthritis
- Chronic clenching from stress, bruxism or malocclusion
At Manhattan Pain Medicine, we combine innovation and expertise to identify the causes of jaw disorders and determine the optimal treatment for each case. To ensure that our patients receive the best care for all aspects of their condition, we also collaborate with Dentists and Physical Therapists who specialize in TMD.
Treatments that we offer include:
- Medication management
- Direct injections with ultrasound guidance
- Botulinum toxin (Botox, Xeomin) injections
- Targeted therapies for other primary causes of TMD